Today’s families start in many beautiful ways

Throughout my family law career, I have been honoured to help many clients begin or grow their families in various ways.

Donor + Surrogate agreements

woman holding mug surrogate agreements

If you’ve decided to start your family using an egg or sperm donor, or surrogate, you likely have many questions about your next steps. I can help you navigate this emerging area of law, which may involve donorship and surrogacy agreements and a declaration of parentage application.


mom feeding child adoption agreements

Committing to raise a child is one of the most selfless acts a person can undertake.  I have assisted many step-families and extended family members in formalizing their relationship with the children in their lives. It would be my privilege to help you build your family through adoption.

Guardianship application

dad & daughter respectful family law solutions

When adoption isn’t possible (or desired), acquiring guardianship status might be an option. Guardianship provides legal status as a caregiver without terminating the rights of the biological or legal parents. I can assist you with deciding if a guardianship application is best for your situation.

Family Creation FAQ

At our first meeting, we will review the law related to your process, the legal procedures involved, and the information and documents you need to gather.

The current laws in Manitoba link parentage and financial child support to having a genetic connection. As an intended parent, you need an agreement that ensures the donor or surrogate will not take a parental role, legal or otherwise. As a donor or surrogate, you want to ensure that you will not have any legal or financial responsibility due to any genetic link to the child.

Budget $2,500 to $3,500* for a donorship agreement and $3,500 to $5,000* for a surrogacy agreement depending on the complexity of your needs.

If you are the intended parent(s), the donor or surrogate needs to obtain independent legal advice before signing the agreement, and if you are paying for their legal fees, you will need to budget about $1,000 to $1,500*.

*Estimate only and does not include taxes or disbursements.

Yes, as long as you and your partner are married or living common-law or registered as common-law partners with Vital Statistics and have provided care to the child for an extended time.

You will need the following documents:

  • Birth certificate of the child to be adopted
  • Marriage or divorce certificates, if applicable
  • A Child Abuse Registry check
  • Criminal record checks

If you are seeking step-parent adoption and the biological parent is absent in the child’s life and doesn’t oppose it, the cost will be in the range of $3,000 to $5,000.* If the biological parent contests the application, the costs will exceed $5,000. Note that in adoption involving someone other than the step-parent, a home study might be required, which comes with additional costs.

*Estimate only and does not include taxes or disbursements.

If you need to cancel or reschedule, you can let me know via our contact options.